The Big Sleep at Home
The Big Sleep is Alabaré’s flagship event and welcomes those who want to take a stand against homelessness.
On Friday 9th October we are inviting you to take on the challenge of a night time by swapping your bed for a sleeping bag for one night, to mark World Homeless Day (Saturday 10th October) and raise vital funds and awareness of Alabaré’s work with homeless and vulnerable people.
Why not camp overnight in your garden or swap your comfy bed for a sleeping bag in your house? However you choose to get involved, by taking part in The Big Sleep at Home you will be raising vital funds and awareness for Alabaré's work with homeless and vulnerable people.
How to get involved
- Sign up - let us know you're taking part by signing up using the free regstration form below. We'll send you an email with more information about the event and how you can kick start your fundraising.
- Start fundraising - set up your fundraising page by going to JustGiving. Start collecting your sponsorship by sending your page to your friends and family and posting on your social media using the #TheBigSleepAtHome.
- Take part - On Friday 9th October, take part by swapping your bed for a sleeping bag for one night. On the night we will be posting live on social media. We will also share more information with participants about homelessness in your local area and how you are making a difference.
How your support will make a difference
By taking part in The Big Sleep at Home and fundraising for Alabaré, you will be supporting homeless and vulnerable people effected by the ongoing impact of Coronavirus.
- The UK saw a 69% increase of people claiming unemployment benefits in the UK in April. (Office for National Statistics)
- Citizen’s Advice calculated that up to 2.6 million private renters may have missed or expected to miss a rent payment in April 2020.
COVID-19 has presented enormous challenges to our work with homeless and vulnerable people, and has forced us to postpone all our fundraising events at a time where we need to spend more money to save lives. We are acutely aware that the mid to long term impact of the Covid lockdown is still not known. Without swift action we could see an impending crisis in the private rental sector as well as an increase in unemployment and mental ill health risk seeing a surge in homelessness in the coming months.
As such, it is more important than ever that Alabaré is able to continue its work ensuring there is a safe home and support to build a new start for those so critically effected by the lockdown.
After you’ve paid your fundraising money in, we’ll be in touch to tell you how your fundraising has helped transform lives.
Sing up below - we'll send you an email with more information about the event and how you can get started with your fundraising.