Who better deserved the thanks of his country: Nelson or Wellington?
06 Nov 2019
Join our Wiltshire Ambassadors for a lively debate on which of Nelson or Wellington deserves the greatest praise.
Two highly successful men, the question is “Who better deserved the thanks of his country: Nelson or Wellington?” The debate will be between prominent author Dr Russ Foster speaking on behalf of Wellington, and Huw Williams, of Partner Geldards LLP for Nelson.
About our speakers:
Russ Foster is a graduate of Southampton University. Now a freelance historian, he has written well over 100 articles on subjects ranging from Alfred the Great to Margaret Thatcher. He is also the author of three books: The Politics of County Power (1990), Wellington and Waterloo. The Duke, the Battle and Posterity 1815-2015((2014), and Sidney Herbert. Too Short a Life (2019). Russ is a Fellow of the Royal Historical Society. Russ is arguing for Wellington.
Huw Williams was Alabare's first Ambassador in Wales. Huw is a longstanding student of naval and maritime history and a member of the HMS Dragon Auxilliary Mess, a business group formed to support the Welsh capital's affiliated warship. A solicitor by profession Huw has recently retired from private practice in Cardiff and has been appointed the Chief Legal Adviser to the Presiding Officer of the National Assembly for Wales.
Timeline for the evening:
- Enjoy drinks on arrival at 7pm.
- Welcome and introduction with Commodore Richard Lord, Chairman of Alabaré's Wiltshire Ambassadors, at 7:30pm.
- A pre-indicative vote will be held, and then each speaker will be given 20 minutes each to state his case, and the audience will have a short opportunity to pose questions.
- After both arguments have been presented a post-indicative vote will be held!
- Share drinks and nibbles at around 8:30pm, leading to the evening’s finish at 9pm.
Riverside House, 2 Watt Road, Salisbury, SP2 7UD
There is a small amount of on-site parking available plus street parking. This event is not suitable for children. If you have any additional questions please contact email@example.com