Mission: To provide accommodation for eleven ex-Service men or women in a safe and supportive environment enabling them to make life changes and develop their skills so that they are able to live independently.
Alabaré's Bristol Home for Veterans offers supported housing with advice to people who are experiencing difficulties after leaving military service. Staff offer support with a range of complex issues including for some, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder or drug and alcohol dependency. Each client is assigned a Key Worker who will help them draw up an Individual Support Plan based on their particular needs.
This project opened in November 2010 and is funded by ABF The Soldiers Charity, RAF Association, The Merchant Venturers, The Grocers Charity and John James Bristol Foundation.
There are three houses in the Filton area of Bristol, within easy walking distance of local amenities. Two houses have four large single bedrooms each, and a further move-on home provides three bedrooms.
Outcomes for clients
- Having the skills and confidence to move on to independent accommodation.
- The ability to positively manage their tenancy and home.
- Identifying, pursuing and enjoying their aspirations through training, education, employment and hobbies.
- The ability to build constructive and positive relationships within the community.
- An increased awareness around physical and mental well-being.
Referrals for this scheme are usually via other Service welfare charities and other local support agencies.